Search for specific information

Preparing for Adulthood - Finding somewhere to live and doing things for myself


Deciding where to live and learning how to do things for yourself can seem like a big step to take but there are people who can help and support you to do this.

A young person with a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan will discuss what help you will need as an adult at your Annual Review meeting when you are 14 years old (Year 9). 

The Annual Review is organised by the school and will look start looking at possible housing options for you as well as your health, social care and educational needs and how you can join in with activities in your local area.  Other professionals may attend this Annual Review meeting to help plan the housing and care support you will need as an adult.    This planning will then be included in your Education, Health and Care Plan. 

To find out more..



Where can I live? 


Live at home with my family/carers

Many young people want to continue living at home with their parents and families. There is a variety of different support and services that might be available for you.  If you are eligible for Adult Social Care you may get help to live independently.  The support you receive would be based on an assessment of your needs.


Supported Living

Supported living is where you live in a house or flat but you have access to care and support. If you do not need a lot of help to live on your own you might want to consider living in a supported living house.   

Supported living means you would do most things on your own but there would be people around to help you with things you find difficult.   This may be things like help with shopping, preparing meals and getting out in the community.  The amount of support you receive will depend on your individual needs and may be up to 24 hour support. Supported living services don't always include personal and health care such as help with washing and taking medication so these may need to be arranged separately.  

With supported living you may be living in a larger building made up of individual flats or in a shared house.  This may be owned either by a private landlord or a Housing Association.  This might be a specialist Housing Association for people with learning difficulties and disabilities.  You would have your own tenancy agreement – this is a contract between you and a landlord.  Where you might live will depend on your needs and the availability of supported living housing.

You can watch a general video about supporting living and what it involves on the NHS website.


Shared Lives

The Shared Lives schemes gives disabled adults the opportunity to live as independently as possible. The service provides a disabled person with the care they need by offering them the chance to stay in a Shared Lives Carer’s home and share their family life or to be supported in their own home by a Shared Lives Carer.

You must be over 18 to be supported by Shared Lives.  The scheme supports a wide range of needs including learning disabilities and physical disabilities.

Ategi provide a shared lives scheme within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.  You can find more information on the  the Local Offer

There is also a useful general video about Shared Lives schemes on the NHS website.


Residential Care

You may need to live in residential care if you need more support that you can be given at home or in supported living.  This is where you are supported to live in a home owned by a provider or Housing Association with 24 hour support. There are specialist residential care homes for young people with disabilities and mental health needs. 

All care homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission and are regularly inspected to ensure they provide a good standard of care.  


Social Housing

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead’s Housing Options Team will be able to advise you about potential routes into housing, including how to apply for the Housing Needs System for social housing. 

The Housing Options Team work closely with colleagues in other Council services such as the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT) and the Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD) in Adult Social Care to support young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) with their housing needs.    They will also be able to advise you about shared ownership schemes, private renting and buying as well as give you confidential advice if you are homeless.

Tel: 01628 683667   Email:

You can also find information on the Royal Borough website.


Renting or buying your own home

If you want to rent or buy independently the usual route is to look though estate agents or popular websites.  You can also contact RBWM's Housing Options Team if you are looking at this option.

There are also schemes to help you buy your own home such Help to Buy SouthHelp to Buy South offers a number of different options for renting or purchasing an affordable new or existing shared ownership home.

Shared ownership schemes allow you to buy a share of property and pay rent on the percentage that you don’t own. 

There are also some shared ownership schemes in some parts of the country which are specifically to help adults with a learning disability to live independently such as HOLD (Home Ownership for People with Long Term Disabilities).  You can find more information about this on the Help to Buy website.


Who can help me with housing options and skills to live on my own? 


Deciding where you would like to live is something you could discuss with your parents/carers and wider family who could advise you on the best housing arrangements and support for you. 

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's Housing Options Team will be able to advise you on housing options. Tel: 01628 683667 or email

Adult Social Care may be able help you if you meet the eligibility criteria for support.   If you need help with your everyday living arrangements, you should ask Adult Social Care to undertake an assessment of your care needs. Please contact the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's Advice and Information Team on 01628 683744 or email

If you qualify for support from Adult Social Care it will depend on your needs as to which Adult Social Care Service may be able to support you - for example this may be the Community Team for People with Learning Difficulties (CTPLD), the Adult Autism Specialist Service, the Community Mental Health Team or the Physical Disability and Older People Team. 

They will be able to provide you with help and advice about housing options and developing independent living skills such as healthy eating, budgeting and keeping healthy and well.  If you are eligible you could be offered a Personal Budget to employ a Support Worker to work with you to help you achieve these outcomes. 

Local Voluntary Sector organisations such as Autism Berkshire offer courses and social groups to support adults over 19 with Autism Spectrum Conditions with the development of independent living skills and social skills including cookery and budgeting.  Please check the Autism Berkshire website for information on the latest courses.

To view all services to support independent living, please go the Advice and Support - Independent living section of the Local Offer.


Personal Budgets and Personal Assistants 


If you have applied for an assessment of your care needs from Adult Social Care the result of your assessment tells you how much we estimate your care and support services to cost. You will be asked to complete a financial assessment and you may have to pay a contribution for your Adult care and support as this is subject to means testing and charging.  You can find out more about financial assessments

If you qualify for support from Adult Services you may be allocated an amount of money called a personal budget to spend on your care and support in the community.  You can find information on self directed support and personal budgets 

Personal Budgets will mean:

  • Greater independence
  • Being in control of your own care and support, whatever your level of need
  • Choosing who looks after your Personal Budget and who arranges your care

This may include recruiting your own Personal Assistant to help you to access the community and with any daily living tasks you find difficult. 

Direct Payments are one way you can receive a Personal Budget.  


The You Tube video below also has information for physically disabled young adults and their support arrangements including recruitment Personal Assistants - this video is aimed at professionals supporting young people and their families.


Equipment, aids and adaptations in the home 


You may need help to live at home by having adaptations made to your home or having specialist aids and equipment.  

The Occupational Therapist in the Royal Borough's  Children and Young People Disability Service  can advise families with children and young people with disabilities under the age of 18 on home adaptations and equipment to support daily living activities.  The Children and Young People Disability Service would then refer the young person to the appropriate Adult Social Care Team at the age of 18. 

Adults over the age of 18 can also request an assessment about any support you might need to live independently by calling the Adult Advice and Information Team on 01628 683744 or email

If you need larger home adaptations you might be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG).  This is for adaptations such as widening doors and installing ramps, stair lifts, and access to bathroom facilities if appropriate.   Grants are means tested to target the funding to those who need the most financial help.  There is more information here on Disabled Facilities Grants.

The Optalis website also has more information about equipment, adaptations and practical support. 


Further information


Getting out and about 


There are a number of schemes to help you to travel as independently as possible if you have additional needs.  You can view all the local and national schemes to assist you with transport on the Local Offer.

This includes discounted travel on buses and trains through the Disabled Person's RailcardIf you drive a car there is information on disabled parking, the Motability scheme and vehicle tax exemption for some people with disabilities

If you are studying you may be able to get help towards transport costs.  You can find out more about the Royal Borough's Post 16 Transport Policy and 16-19 bursaries.

There also schemes and services to help you with transport to work if you are eligible such as an Access to Work Grant.

Some charities also provide support for transport.  People to Places is a charity in the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead providing specialist accessible transport for people with disabilities and mobility issues.

If you receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP) some of your allocation may be used to support your mobility needs.

Your school may be able to help provide you with travel training to help you to have the knowledge and confidence to travel independently.  Organisations such as Ways into Work can also support young people with special needs and disabilities with travel training.

You can view all the transport support available in transport section of the Local Offer.


Further information

There are a numbers of websites which give disabled access reviews of venues such as cafes, restaurants and various activities and attractions.  These include Euan's Guide.


Further information 


Links on the Local Offer and the Council Website

The Advice and Support section of the Local Offer has information about all the services that support independent living including travel and getting out and about, learning life skills and where to go for financial support.

The Adults and Carers section of the Adults, Family and Local Offer directory also has information about housing options and help to live at home. 

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's website has information about:


National organisations providing advice and support

The website has information about Housing and Housing Benefits.

There are also number of national organisations who provide a range of lots useful information and advice about housing and independent living for people with disabilities.  These include: