Search for specific information

Preparing for Adulthood - Help with your care needs


When a young person reaches the age of 18 the responsibility for providing social care support transfers from the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead's Children's Services to Adult Services.

The eligibility criteria for Adult Services is not the same as the criteria for Children’s Services. This could mean that you may no longer be eligible for the same services or that different services may be more suitable for you.

You can find information about the eligibility criteria for Adult Social Care at the following link.   If you are not eligible for Adult Services, you will be given information about other sources of support and advice.

Some young people with special educational needs and disabilities will continue to require services and support as adults to help meet your care needs and to enable you to have the same opportunities as other young people of the same age.

To find out more..


What support is available when moving to Adult Social Care? 

A young person with a Statement of Special Educational Needs/ Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan will begin to discuss the help you will need as an adult at your Annual Review meeting when you are 14 years old (Year 9).

The Annual Review is organised by the school and will plan the support to meet your social care and health needs as you move towards adulthood.  If you do not have a Statement or EHC Plan you will still receive transition support from your school and other services during this time.

Between the ages of 14-17 years, the Children and Young People Disability Service will let Adult Social Care Services know of young people who are likely to need support as an adult. An adult assessment (Transition Assessment) will then be carried out when you are 17- 17½ years old by the allocated worker from Adult Social Care to look at your eligible needs and the support you may need in the future. 

This may also involve a carer’s assessment to help ensure your parents/carers also receive the right advice, guidance and support.

The Children and Young People Disability Service also works jointly with Adult Services to make any applications to Adult Continuing Health Care (CHC) if you have continuing health needs when you are 17 years old. The criteria for Adult Continuing Health Care is different from Children’s Continuing Care. 

If you are eligible for Adult Social Care services, a financial assessment will also be completed. You may have to pay a contribution for Adult care and support as this is subject to means testing and charging.  

If you qualify for support, Adult Services will look at an appropriate package of care that will meet your needs.  You may be allocated an amount of money called a personal budget to spend on your care and support in the community.  You can find information on self directed support and personal budgets .  You may use your personal budget to recruit your own Personal Assistant.   Direct Payments are one way you can receive a Personal Budget. 

If it's more appropriate for your needs, Adult Services may also provide and arrange services for you, for example, in arranging a Support Worker to assist you. 

If you are not eligible for support, Adult Services will also provide appropriate signposting to other services.

A Support Plan for Adult Social Care will be developed jointly with you and your family and put into place.  If you are aged 18 or over and continue to have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan because you are remaining in education or are undertaking an apprenticeship and you make the move to Adult Social Care Services, the support plan is also recorded in the ‘care’ section of your EHC Plan.  This will remain in place until your EHC Plan ceases or you reach the age of 25.  The Support Plan or EHC Plan will be reviewed at least annually to ensure it is continuing to meet your needs and to look at how your outcomes are changing.

Young people can also use Transition Journals as a way of providing important information to Social Workers in Adult Social Care. A Transition Journal is a document all about the young person and their needs and how to help them best.


What Adult Social Care Teams are there? 

Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities (CTPLD)

The team is made up of employees from Health and Adult Social Care and supports adults with learning disabilities and their carers.


The Physical Disability and Older Person's Team

This team provides support and services to adults who have a physical disability or chronic illness and their carers. 


Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)

The Community Mental Health Team provides services to adults with a range of mental health issues. 


Adult Autism Specialist Service

This team supports adults with Autism Spectrum Conditions and their carers. The Team is made up of practitioners from Adult Services with support from mental health services.


Sensory support services for Adults

There is a range of support services available to help you to live safely and independently if you are an adult with a sensory impairment.  If you think you need support you can contact the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM) and we will look at how your sensory loss is impacting your day to day life to see what help you need.   


Short Term Support and Rehabilitation Team

This team provide short-term support to help people recover or cope after a decline in health, an injury or an illness. 


How to request an assessment for Adult Social Care Support 

To be referred to Adult Social Care and to request an assessment, please contact the Advice and Information Team on 01628 683744 or email

If you are already receiving services through the Children and Young People Disability Service, you can be referred to Adult Services through that service if appropriate.   If you have any queries about the transition to Adult Services, please contact the Children and Young People Disability Service on 01628 685878 or email

Any queries are answered within the Council's opening times (Monday to Thursday 8.45-5.15pm and Fridays 8.45-4.45pm).