Search for specific information

Transferring Statements to an Education, Health and Care Plan

Current Statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN) must be transferred, where appropriate, to an Education, Health and Care Plan by April 2018. 

This is likely to take place in advance of children and young people transferring to the next phase of their education (moving between schools or leaving school). 

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead has developed a Local Transfer Plan in consultation with families and professionals.  The Plan sets out further information about the overall timetable for transferring Statements to EHC Plans and what the process will involve.  RBWM's Local Transfer Plan was updated in September 2016.

To transfer a child or young person from a Statement to an EHC Plan, Local Authorities must undertake a ‘Transfer Review’.   In the academic year which the local authority intends to transfer a child or young person from a Statement to an EHC Plan, the transfer review replaces the Annual Review of the Statement.

Further information on the Transfer Review process is available in the Information, Advice and Support (IAS)  Service factsheet under 'Related Links' to the right of this page.

You can contact the Children and Young People Disability Service on 01628 685878 or email if you have any queries regarding the transfer of Statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments to EHC Plans.

The Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service and Adviza can also provide information and support about the transfer process.


Useful links

The Government guidance on Transferring Statements to EHC  Plans is at the following linkSEND Managing changes to legislation from September 2015