Search for specific information

Personal Budgets - EHC Plans

Families who have a child or young person with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan have the right to request a Personal Budget to secure relevant provision within their Plan if they wish.

This enables families to have more flexibility and control over the services they receive. Not all provision can be taken as a Personal Budget but the Assessment Co-ordinator in the Children and Young People Disability Service will discuss this with families on a case by case basis.

There are four ways families can use a Personal Budget:

• Direct Payments – where families receive money to buy and manage services themselves

• An arrangement where the Local Authority or education provider holds the money and commissions the services included in the EHC plan as directed by families (these are sometimes called notional arrangements)

• Third-party arrangements – where families can choose someone else to manage the money on their behalf

• A combination of the three ways above

Find out more

Further information about Personal Budgets can be found in the SEND: guide for parents and carers and the Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice

Information about Direct Payments for Social Care Services accessed through the Children and Young People Disability Service.

Further information about services which can be included in a Personal Budget will be included here shortly. Please contact the Children and Young People Disability Service if you have any queries regarding Personal Budgets on 01628 685878 or email