Search for specific information

FAQ - How can I find appropriate childcare for my child who has additional needs?


Choosing the right childcare provider can be a difficult decision. You should always visit providers before making a decision and ensure that you are given sufficient time to discuss your child’s specific needs. 

Childcare options

You can  find information about the different childcare options such as childminders, nurseries and pre schools on the Royal Borough websiteFor general information you can also contact the Early Years Team at the Local Authority on 01628 796684 or by emailing Please also see the information about childminders and nurseries under 'Related Links' to the right of this page about the requirements they have to follow. 

Alternatively, for more information visit PACEY’S (Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years) website for information on ‘types of childcare’.

All early years settings– such as nurseries, pre schools and childminders - that are registered with Ofsted have to follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS). The EYFS is a legal framework that states all registered early years settings must have arrangements in place to support children with SEN or disabilities.  This includes providing you with a written progress check when your child is 2 years old, ongoing observations of your child’s progress, and a written assessment in the summer term of reception year in school.  More information is available on the EYFS progress checks page. 

You can find inspection reports of Ofsted registered provision on the Ofsted website.


Financial Support

You can find general information about help for paying for childcare on the website.

All 3 and 4 year olds attending a nursery setting or childminder registered within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead to claim Nursery Education Funding are entitled to up to 15 hours of free childcare per week (subject to a maximum of 570 hours per year).  More information is available on the free entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds page on the Local Offer.

Some 2-year-olds in England are eligible for up to 15 hours a week (570 hours per year) of free early education and childcare. A child will be eligible if they have a current statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan or are in receipt of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA). You can find information about the eligibility for this funding on the Free Early Education and Childcare for 2 year olds page.

Early years providers (rather than parents) can also claim extra funding through the Early Years Pupil Premium to support children's development, learning and care.


Finding information about childcare on the Local Offer

To find information about the specific support offered by childminders, pre schools, nurseries and schools to young children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), you can go to the 0-5 years or the Childcare and Education section of RBWM’s Local Offer and click on the purple 'view all services' button. 

You can then filter the information by clicking on 'early years setting' or 'childminder' in the 'narrow the results' field.  If you know the name of the provider you can enter this in the blue search for specific information toolbar at the top of the page.  The support they offer is detailed in their 'Local Offer' and is attached as document at the end of their listing.  Click on the quick links here to find an early years provider or find a childminder

For information about the Childminder Plus scheme which is offered as a short break (respite) for parents and carers of children with special educational need and/or disabilities, please go the following link or call the Children and Young People Disability Service on 01628 685878.