Search for specific information

Preparing for Adulthood - Things to do, having my say and being part of my community


In this section of the Local Offer you can find out about leisure and social activities for young people aged 14-25 including local youth clubs, leisure centres, sports clubs such as SportsAble and activity centres like Camp Mohawk and much more.

There is also advice about how you can get involved in the local community and have your say about services for young people. 

You can also find information about how to keep safe online when using the internet and social media like Facebook and Twitter.

To find out more..


Leisure and social activities 


You can find information about all the different leisure and social activities you can do in the local area whatever your interests might be.  Some of these mainstream activities which all young people can go to and others are groups and clubs which are especially for people with special needs and disabilities. 

If you would like to have a look through all the different activities on offer you can search the directory.   If you are looking for a particular activity such as 'swimming' you can type this word into the key word search at the top of the page.

There are also different charities in Windsor and Maidenhead which provide many social activities for young people including Autism Berkshire, East Berkshire Down Syndrome Support Group, South East Deaf Children's Society,  Windsor Mencap, Maidenhead Mencap, Berkshire Vision and Berkshire PHAB

You can also find out about the different short break activities here.  Short breaks give you an enjoyable time doing fun activities and the chance to develop your independence at the same time as giving your parents or carers a break.

There are also groups to help young people prepare for becoming an adult like the Life Skills Project for 14-25 year olds.

If you are over the age of 18 and are eligible for Adult Social Care you may be able to access centres such as Boyn Grove Community Centre in Maidenhead and Oakbridge Centre in Windsor, which provide a range of social and leisure activities as well as opportunities to develop independent living skills.

You can also look on the Family Service Directory for mainstream activities for all young people or the Adults Directory for activities in the local area for adults. 


Help to join in and recruiting Personal Assistants 

Some young people may need help and support to join in some activities. This might involve letting the person running the activity know about your needs to enable you to take part.

If you have completed a Transition Journal, which is a document all about you and your needs and how to help you best, you could share this with the session leaders.

You may also need a Support Worker to help you to join in. The Council's Children and Young People Disability Service can arrange for young people to have a Support Worker, if you need one, to help you to go to short break activities. This could include attending mainstream activities in the community such as attending a local dance group or youth service activities. It could also be to help you to go to groups especially for young people who have disabilities such as the Buddy Group Youth Club. You need to be under 18 years of age and will need to have an assessment through the Children and Young People Disability Service. You can contact the Children and Young People Disability Service on 01628 685878 or email

If you are over the age of 18 and you qualify for support from Adult Services you may be allocated an amount of money called a personal budget to spend on your care and support in the community.  You may use your personal budget to recruit your own Personal Assistant who can support you to access social and leisure activities. You can find information about recruiting Personal Assistants and Direct Payments which are one way to receive your Personal Budget on the Local Offer.


Volunteering is about giving your time to help other people. You don't get paid but you do get the chance to use your talents, develop new skills and make a real difference to other people's lives as well as your own. Sometimes the experience and skills you gain through voluntary work can help you when you are looking for paid work.

Click on the blue links below to find out more..

The Ways into Work service can help young people with disabilities aged 18+ to get voluntary work.

Windsor, Ascot and Maidenhead Community Database helps local people to get involved with local community projects.

The Leonard Cheshire Disability charity Can Do Project provides volunteer opportunities for people with disabilities.

Vinspired is an independent charity dedicated to helping young people to volunteer.



Having your say 

It is important that all young people have the chance to be involved in decisions about your own life and about the services and support you receive in the local area.

There are opportunities in the local area for young people with special educational needs and disabilities to have your voice heard.  Click on the blue links to find out more...

  • If you are still in education, your school may have a School Council, which gives you the chance to have your say about school life.
  • You can also join the Youth Ambassadors Group which gives you a voice in planning local services for all young people including those with special educational needs and disabilities.
  • For young people in care there is also the Children in Care Council, which is called Kickback.
  • The Council's Learning Disability Partnership also gives adults with learning disabilities the chance to have their say about local services.

Services that help you have your say 

  • Advocacy services can help you access information and services, be involved in decisions about your life and promote your rights. 
  • The Information, Advice and Support Service provides impartial and confidential information, advice and support to children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and their parents. The service covers all aspects of your education, social care and health. 
  • The Independent Support Programme can  help you and your parents through an assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan.  They can also help and advise you if you have a statement of special educational needs or learning difficulty assessment and are transferring to an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.
  • Healthwatch enables people to talk about their experiences of local health and social care services and what needs to be improved.
  • Disabled People's User Led Organisations (DPULOs) are run by and for disabled people.  They provide advice on a wide range of topics to all disabled people whatever their impairment.  They also have an important role in helping disabled people to have a stronger voice in the local community and providing peer support in areas such as social care, financial services, employment and volunteering. You can find out more on the website. (opens in new window).

Using the internet and social media 

Your school will help provide advice about online safety as part of your PSHE programme.  RBWM Youth Service also deliver sessions in schools about topics such as cyberbullying and online safety.

As well as schools, local groups for young people such as the Life Skills Project  provide guidance and support to young people about using the internet and social media as part of their programme.

You can find information and guidance about using the internet and social media safely at the following websites..

Advice for young people

 Advice for parents

  • Thinkuknow - provides top tips for parents and carers of teenagers, including how to talk to your children about online safety.
  • The NSPCC has information on how parents and carers can make sure their son or daughter is safe online
  • Cerebra has online safety guides for parents and people with learning disabilities
  • STAR is a teaching resource to help children with autism and learning disabilities stay safe online and protect themselves from cyberbullying