Search for specific information

Educational Psychology Service (EPS)

We are a small team of applied psychologists with a background in education and research. We work together with young people, their parents/carers and staff in order to make a positive difference to children's learning, well-being and development.

All maintained and academy schools in RBWM have a link Educational Psychologist (EP) who visits the school on a regular basis, liaising with the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo).  If a parent/carer has any concerns about their child, we encourage contact with the school in the first instance. The school will discuss with us whether it is appropriate to involve an Educational Psychologist at this time.

We suggest parents look at the Local Offer information for their son/daughter’s educational setting (within the Education section of the Local Offer) to find out more about what the setting is able to offer all children/young people with any special educational need or disability.

Children in early years settings may qualify for involvement from the Educational Psychologist if their special educational needs requirements are significant and complex.

All Educational Psychologists working for the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead are registered with Health & Care Professions Council and our training is regularly updated.

Education, Health and Care Plans

When the Local Authority (LA) considers that special educational provision may need to be made and has decided to proceed with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment, the LA will gather advice from relevant professionals. The educational psychologist provides the psychological advice and information about the child or young person’s education needs, along with desired outcomes that may be required to best meet those needs within the available resources.

Questions parent and carers often ask us…

What do Educational Psychologists do?

We work with children aged between 0 and 19 years (or up to 25 years for young adults with complex and enduring educational needs) who may be experiencing problems in their lives. We always look to involve and support the adults who have concerns for or about them.

We aim, with your help, to gain a clear picture of the circumstances and concerns around your child. We do this by gathering information from you and others who know your child and by using psychology and our experience and knowledge.

Every situation is unique. Usually we work with you, school staff and your child to find the best way forward with a clear action plan.

What is an assessment?

To help with the initial joint planning, we first ask for detailed background information from the adults concerned as part of the assessment process. We may then decide to spend more time with the adult(s) expressing the concern, to find out what may help (e.g. when a child’s behaviour is affecting their learning).

If we work directly with a child or young person, we may observe them in the setting where concerns are expressed or work individually with them using a range of materials, including tests and questionnaires. We also talk with the young person to gain their perspective and views.

 Will I be kept informed?

Yes, we always ensure that you have agreed for us to work with your child. We aim to keep you informed, and let you know the outcomes of any individual work with your child. If a written report is completed you will always receive a copy.


Who to contact

Contact Name
Educational Psychology Service (EPS)
Contact Position
01628 796688
RBWM website

Where to go

Town Hall
St Ives Road

Other details

Referral required?
Who can refer
Via School
Age Range
0-25 years
Related Links
Educational Psychology Service

Local Offer

What are the eligibility criteria for your service?
Children and young people aged 0-25 years with special educational needs and disabilities.
How are referrals/applications made to your service?
Schools purchase packages of time from the EPS and so commission work with children and families. When it is agreed that EP input would be helpful, a request for EP involvement is made and parents/carers are involved. EP involvement will only begin when parents/carers have agreed and signed a consent form.

EPS also complete LA statutory work as part of the Education, Health & Care Assessment process.
What is your service standard for responding to referrals/accessing services?
The Educational Psychology Service (EPS) works with the school to agree timescales, and once involvement is agreed, parents/carers can expect to receive a consent form from the school within a few days, and you can then make contact with the Educational Psychologist if you need more information.
Who provides / funds your service?
Local Authority
Are children, young people, parents / carers charged for your service?
Inspection outcomes/quality awards
Not applicable. Our standards are set by the Health and Care Professions Council who routinely monitor a sample of Professionals’ Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and competence to practise.
Feedback and complaints procedure
Schools and a sample of families who have been in receipt of the service are regularly asked to comment on the quality of the input provided and to suggest any areas where it is felt development is required. All our training work for schools and other professionals is evaluated in order to maintain quality.
Please follow the RBWM Local Authority procedure for complaints. This can be accessed from the RBWM website
How will I know my child/ young person will be safe using this service?
All staff are DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) checked, which is renewed in agreement with national guidelines.
In addition, all staff regularly attend RBWM safeguarding training regulated by the LSCB (Local Safeguarding & Children Board) which is refreshed every 2-3 years.
Local Offer Age Bands
0-5, 5-11, 11-16, Preparing for Adulthood
Supporting people with
  • Autism
  • Behavioural, emotional, social difficulties
  • Hearing impairment
  • Medical needs
  • Moderate learning difficulties
  • Physical disabilities
  • Profound and multiple learning difficulties
  • Severe learning difficulties
  • Specific learning difficulties
  • Speech, language communication needs
  • Visual Impairment
Last Updated

Journey Planner

Address: Town Hall  St Ives Road  Maidenhead  Berkshire

You are texting details about Educational Psychology Service (EPS)