Search for specific information

Disability exemption from vehicle tax

If you have a disability you can claim disability exemption when you apply for vehicle tax.  You still need to apply for vehicle tax even if you don't need to pay vehicle tax. 

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you receive the following:

  • Higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Enhanced rate mobility component of Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • War pensioner's mobility supplement
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

The vehicle must be in the disabled person's name or their nominated driver's name.  It must only be used for the disabled person's personal needs.  It can't be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can find out more details about this and how to apply on the website.  See the link below.

Who to contact

Contact Name website
Website website

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
Preparing for Adulthood, Parents and Carers
Last Updated

You are texting details about Disability exemption from vehicle tax